New York: Habits like reading a book or keeping your mouth minty fresh may affect your sleep.
Huffingtonpost.com shares some of the habits that are likely to spoil a sound sleep:
* You`re an inconsistent eater: Studies show inconsistent eating habits can have a negative impact on sleep later in the day. If you have dinner later in the evening, it`s okay as long as you stick with it, every day. If not, skip the unexpected dessert.
* Your mouth is minty fresh: Research suggests the scent of peppermint stimulates the brain, making you feel more awake. Try other flavours like strawberry or bubblegum instead.
* You love a good book: Exciting, emotional and intellectually demanding activities before bed can lead to poor quality sleep. Go for something light like sports or entertainment magazine.
* You smoke before bed: Nicotine is a stimulant, making it harder for you to fall asleep. If you can`t give up cigarettes altogether, try to smoke hours before going to bed.
* You splash cold water: Cold water helps close pores, but it also stimulates the body, releasing energy to keep warm and stay awake. Try washing your face with warm water in the evening.