Australia makes way for turtles to lay eggs; cleans up oil spill
Canberra: Australia's Queensland witnessed an oil spill earlier this week, which the state government is working tirelessly to remove. Why? Because hundreds of female turtles are about to make their way to Australia's world-heritage Fraser Island in a few weeks' time to lay eggs.
World Wildlife Fund (WWF) Head of Ocean Richard Leck told Xinhua news agency on Wednesday that it was unfortunate that an oil spill happened at the island so close before hundreds of turtles head to the area to lay their eggs.
"It's about the biggest natural event in the year," Leck said referring to the female turtles.
The "oil patties" were discovered by rangers on Monday afternoon, scattered around the island shores, which the authorities immediatelygave orders to clean.
Queensland State Minister for Main Roads and Ports Mark Bailey on Wednesday said Maritime Safety Queensland, Roadtek, Queensland Parks, Wildlife Service and the Queensland Police Service have been assessing the area since Tuesday with more help from relevant authorities underway.
Meanwhile, Queensland State Environment Minister Steven Miles said the oil patties were dispersed mildly along about 60 km of high tide line from the wreck of the Maheno to Dilli Village.
"Experience has shown the best way to clean-up the beach is to remove the patties by rake and shovel," Miles said.
"This minimises the impact on the environment and reduces the amount of additional sand collected.
"This can be a time-consuming and physically demanding process and we have ensured we have sufficient personnel to work on rotation to get the job done," Miles said, adding that there were no reports of wildlife being affected by the event.
(With IANS inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM