People come out in large numbers to join beloved dog on his final walk before euthanisation – See pics

Walnut got to see his favourite spot for the last time.

By Udita Madan | Last Updated: Nov 14, 2016, 21:26 PM IST
People come out in large numbers to join beloved dog on his final walk before euthanisation – See pics
Mark Woods with his dog Walnut in happier times. (Image courtesy: Mark Woods/Facebook)

New Delhi: A man's best friend remains one throughout their lives. The attachment, the bond and the love between a human and his dog is incomparable and unconditional. The world will give testimony to this fact.

Mark Woods' relationship with his dog Walnut, was no different. Walnut only understood the language of love and Woods was all too ready to give him just that.

18 long years of unconditional love later, Mark Woods had to let go of his canine buddy. November 12, 2016 was the day Woods got Walnut euthanised due to his deteriorating health, but not before he gave his companion a wonderful farewell.

In his better days, Walnut was extremely fond of his walks at Porth Beach in Cornwall, England, near to where Woods and Walnut lived and in his final moments, Walnut got to see his favourite spot for the last time.

Mark Woods put up a heart-wrenching Facebook post, in which he wrote that, “Sadly I am having to have Walnut euthanised on Saturday 12th November and so we will be having a last walk together on his beloved Porth Beach at 9:30 am. I would love it if dog lovers/owners and friends would join us for a celebration of Walnut on his favourite Porth Beach. He has had an incredible life and having reached the grand age of 18 is ready for his final sleep. Hope to see you on Saturday.”

To his surprise, hordes of people turned up at the beach to support Woods and Walnut for his final walk, with people also paying tribute to the lovable canine using the hashtag #walkwithwalnut.

Wrapped in a blanket, Walnut was carried by Woods along Porth Beach on Saturday, while dozens of other dogs brought by their owners yelped alongside, as if sensing the atmosphere.

The euthanisation was evidently a tough decision for Mark to make after realising the 18-year-old was “on his last legs”.

Speaking before taking Walnut to the vet, Woods said, “I didn't want to just sit here moping around, I thought we should go for a last walk so his day was reasonably normal, and mine was reasonably normal as well.

“I thought it would be nice to walk with others and share the day, I always walk on my own and it gets boring on my own so I thought it would be nice,” the Telegraph reported.

Woods later confirmed that Walnut had died at 11:56 am. He wrote, “Walnut passed away this morning at 11.56am. The family and our three whippets, Monty, Nelson and Charlie were also in the room. He went very quickly and in my arms. I am writing this post because I owe it to everyone who has supported myself, my family and most importantly Walnut. Thank you to the hundreds of people that attended the walk this morning and to all those that had their own walks with their beloved pets at 9.30am all around the world.”

Check out Mark Woods' posts below, as well as images from Walnut's last walk.