Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: In what could be called as a shocking incident, poachers in Karnataka used 'explosive device' to hunt a sloth bear and in the process, injured the animal critically.
This incident happened in the outskirts of the state capital which even left the Karnataka wildlife officials in a shock.
The home-made explosive device was placed inside the food bait and exploded inside the animal's mouth causing severe internal fracture in its jaws going into the skull.
The bear, an about seven-year-old male, was rescued by Karnataka Forest Department and animal welfare organisation Wildlife SOS and is currently undergoing medical treatment at the Bear Rescue Centre.
The Divisional Forest Officer, Ramanagara, discovering the injured animal, called up the Bannerghatta Bear Rescue Centre run by Wildlife SOS in Bengaluru.
Officials added that they had to tranquilise the animal as it appeared to be under acute and excruciating pain.
(With IANS inputs)