`50% TB patients are diabetic/pre-diabetic in TN`
Chennai: Nearly 50 per cent of tuberculosis (TB) patients in Tamil Nadu were found to be having either diabetes or pre diabetes conditions, a recent study by a city-based private hospital has revealed.
The study done on 827 TB patients under under the Revised National Tuberculosis Control Programme in three districts of Chennai, Kancheepuram and Tiruvallur in the state showed 49.8 per cent of them having either diabetes or pre-diabetes.
The six-month study was conducted by M V Hospital for Diabetes and Prof M Viswanathan Diabetes Research Centre here found 25.3 per cent of the sample having diabetes and over nine per cent of them having pre-diabetes, Dr Vijay Viswanathan, Managing Director told reporters here.
He said that another recent nationwide study conducted in 2011 reported the prevalence rates of diabetes and pre-diabetes to be 10.4 per cent and and 8.3 per cent respectively, among the general population in the state.
Dr Neeraj Bedi, Medical Superintendent of M V Hospital for Diabetes said that the hospital had recently launched a free testing for diabetes for TB patients? Glucose Tolerance Test (GTT), which would otherwise cost around Rs 380.
comments powered by Disqus
- China launches world's fastest train Fuxing on Beijing-Shanghai line
- B'desh PM Sheikh Hasina slams Pak in UN for 1971 atrocities
- India replies strongly to Pak PM in UN, terms Pakistan as 'Terroristan'
- Cornered Pakistan plays Kashmir-card again at UN
- How much has PM Modi's constituency Varanasi developed after 2014 polls?
- China's snub to Pakistan at UN: Won't meddle in Kashmir, solve it with India
- IRCTC blocks debit card payment gateway for several banks
- Watch: MS Dhoni completes miraculous stumping to dismiss Glenn Maxwell at Eden Gardens
- Meet Nirvaan, India's smallest and youngest baby born after 22 weeks
- Toddler dies half an hour after allegedly being administered polio drops in Ludhiana