`Stem cells stay alive for 17 days in dead bodies`
London: Scientists have revealed that some stem cells can lay dormant for more than two weeks in a dead person and then be revived to divide into new, functioning cells.
The research unlocks further knowledge about the versatility of these cells, touted as a future source to replenish damaged tissue.
“Remarkably, skeletal muscle stem cells can survive for 17 days in humans and 16 days in mice post-mortem, well beyond the one to two days currently thought,” the Daily Mail quoted the statement of scientists.
The researchers led by Fabrice Chretien of the Pasteur Institute in Paris, found that the stem cells retained their ability to differentiate into perfectly functioning muscle cells.
“This discovery could form the basis of a new source, and more importantly new methods of conservation, for stem cells used to treat a number of pathologies,” the researchers said.
Stem cells are infant cells that develop into the specialised tissues of the body.
The latest findings have sparked great excitement as they offer hopes of rebuilding organs damaged by disease or accident.
The Pasteur Institute team found that to survive in adverse conditions, skeletal muscle stem cells lower their metabolism to enter a dormant state, using less energy.
The team then also looked at stem cells taken from bone marrow, where blood cells are produced.
These remained viable for four days after death in lab mice and retained their ability to reconstitute tissue after a bone marrow transplant.
“By harvesting stem cells from the bone marrow of consenting donors post mortem, doctors could address to a certain extent the shortage of tissues and cells,” the team said.
The investigators sounded a word of caution, though.
The approach was ‘highly promising’, but required more testing and validation before it could be tested in humans.
The research is published in the journal Nature Communication.
comments powered by Disqus
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why