`WHO not health police, supports govt in health issues`
New Delhi: WHO today stated that its role is not that of a "health police" when it comes to intervention in specific disease-related issues, but of an organisation supporting governments in resolving such matters.
"WHO is not a health police. It is not an anti-dengue or anti-polio organisation. We are taking care of overall health issues. We collaborate with governments to resolve health issues," said Nata Menabde, WHO`s Country Representative in India at a media round-table to discuss India`s Country Cooperation Strategy (CCS) from 2012 to 2017.
Responding to queries if WHO would intervene on specific disease-related issues in the country, Menabde said, "We are not a police. We don`t sanction governments. We are there to support."
She said, "We are there to help, not to create scandals...To nurture a collaboration you have to have a trust relationship with the government."
The WHO chief in India said, "One of the important issues that we are doing now is also WHO`s role in evaluations, in review of the performance of government programmes, in health system report strategies."
World Health Organisation is the directing and coordinating authority for health within the UN system and is responsible for providing leadership on global health matters, shaping the health research agenda, setting norms and standards, articulating evidence-based policy options, providing technical support to countries and monitoring and assessing health trends.
comments powered by Disqus
- China launches world's fastest train Fuxing on Beijing-Shanghai line
- Dawood Ibrahim's security in Pakistan increased by 50 percent: Iqbal Kaskar
- B'desh PM Sheikh Hasina slams Pak in UN for 1971 atrocities
- Calcutta HC revokes Mamata govt's order on Durga idol immersion ban
- Honeypreet Insan reportedly spotted in Gurusar Modia school
- Dawood Ibrahim changed house in Pakistan 4 times since Modi govt came to power: Iqbal Kaskar
- Class 5 student commits suicide, asks 'teacher to not punish severely' in last wish
- China's snub to Pakistan at UN: Won't meddle in Kashmir, solve it with India
- Dawood Ibrahim in 'setting' with Narendra Modi govt to return to India: Raj Thackeray
- IRCTC blocks debit card payment gateway for several banks