2012 puts women on top in BFSI sector!
Zee Research Group
Has 2012 reinforced women ascendancy in the world of business and economy in India? The going has been rather happy for women executives this year, especially in the Banking, Financial Services and Insurance (BFSI) sector. The National Stock Exchange (NSE) announced on November 26, 2012 that its long-serving head, Ravi Narain, will soon make way for a new leader. Stepping into his shoes will be his current deputy, Chitra Ramkrishna. She will become the NSE’s first and India’s second woman to head a stock exchange on April 1, 2013. Deena Mehta was the first when she headed Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE) for two months way back in 2001.
While boardroom representation for women is yet appallingly low at about five per cent, their dominance in Banking, Financial Services and Insurance (BFSI) has always been the talk of the town. The trend of women on top in banking sector was first set by Homai Daruwalla who was the Chairperson and Managing Director of Central Bank from 2005 before retiring in the year 2008.
Now the BFSI sector boasts of several highly successful women professionals running the show. Among the names that have made a statement on their own include Chanda Kochhar, Shikha Sharma, Renu S Karnad, Kalpana Morparia and Naina Lal Kidwai setting the benchmark for others to follow in suit. The list reads like ‘who is who’ of the banking scene in India.
2012 has actually put premium on the trend: Zee Research Group (ZRG) pieces together the list of few other women from the banking sector in 2012 that have stepped into the big league and have been successful in breaking the glass ceiling.
comments powered by Disqus
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Yasin Bhatkal calls wife from Hyderabad jail, talks of 'help from Damascus'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?