600 British teenage girls have breast reduction surgery
London: A total of 647 British girls aged 15 to 18 have undergone state-funded breast reduction surgery in the past five years.
Shadow Health Minister Diane Abbott said the surgeries, which cost around 5,000 pounds each, were often a waste of precious funds of the National Health Service.
She said it was due to women`s "obsession with physical perfection".
"An obsession with physical perfection is driving women. Society needs to debate whether scarce NHS resources are best spent on a 15-year-old who has convinced herself her breasts are too big" Abbott said.
However, a total of 359 women in their 70s also had the surgery, according to official statistics.
In total, 21,328 women had reductions between 2006 and 2011.
comments powered by Disqus
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news
- Indrani Mukerjea confesses to her role in Sheena Bora murder case
- 'Insulted' Samajwadi Party walks out of 'Janata Parivar', to contest Bihar polls alone
- Mild earthquake jolts Rajasthan, no damage reported
- Inside view: Hillary Clinton e-mails reveal what US thinks of India