600 British teenage girls have breast reduction surgery
London: A total of 647 British girls aged 15 to 18 have undergone state-funded breast reduction surgery in the past five years.
Shadow Health Minister Diane Abbott said the surgeries, which cost around 5,000 pounds each, were often a waste of precious funds of the National Health Service.
She said it was due to women`s "obsession with physical perfection".
"An obsession with physical perfection is driving women. Society needs to debate whether scarce NHS resources are best spent on a 15-year-old who has convinced herself her breasts are too big" Abbott said.
However, a total of 359 women in their 70s also had the surgery, according to official statistics.
In total, 21,328 women had reductions between 2006 and 2011.
comments powered by Disqus
- Check jkbose.co.in for JKBOSE 12th Results 2016: Jammu and Kashmir Board Class 12 results declared
- AgustaWestland VVIP chopper deal: Manohar Parrikar to make statement in Parliament today
- IPL 2016: Unsold at auction, Hashim Amla signed by Kings XI Punjab as replacement for injured Shaun Marsh
- NEET 2016: 2nd phase to be held on July 24; Centre and CBSE should start preparations, says Supreme Court
- 12 Jaish-e-Mohammed terrorists detained as Delhi Police foils major terror plot, seizes explosives