600 British teenage girls have breast reduction surgery
London: A total of 647 British girls aged 15 to 18 have undergone state-funded breast reduction surgery in the past five years.
Shadow Health Minister Diane Abbott said the surgeries, which cost around 5,000 pounds each, were often a waste of precious funds of the National Health Service.
She said it was due to women`s "obsession with physical perfection".
"An obsession with physical perfection is driving women. Society needs to debate whether scarce NHS resources are best spent on a 15-year-old who has convinced herself her breasts are too big" Abbott said.
However, a total of 359 women in their 70s also had the surgery, according to official statistics.
In total, 21,328 women had reductions between 2006 and 2011.
comments powered by Disqus
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Navjot Singh Sidhu diagnosed with DVT: Know about this life threatening disease!
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Rahul Gandhi takes potshot at PM Narendra Modi's fashion sense - Watch