Arjun Rampal is the ‘Raavan’ of ‘Chakravyuh’: Manoj Bajpai
New Delhi: Known for making gritty realistic films on societal apathies, Prakash Jha’s latest film, ‘Chakravyuh’ is based on the gnawing issue of Naxalism and boasts of an impressive star cast.
In the capital to promote this Dussehra release, the cast and crew interacted with the press and spoke about the recent controversy that had posed a threat to the release of the film. Shoe makers, Bata had filed a case against the filmmakers and Prakash Jha for using their brand name wrongly in the song ‘Mehengai’. The Birlas too, had filed a case as their name was also dragged in the song.
The filmmaker, who won both the cases, said that the song ‘Mehangai’ did not intend to malign anyone, but was used as a generic term. “If you hear properly, the song expresses the pathos of the Dalit community who are exploited day in and day out,” said Jha, and asked “haven’t we all used such terms while doing street theatre in college. I speak about the divide that exists in the society and doesn’t really blame a particular person.”
The film’s cast- Arjun Rampal, Abhay Deol, Manoj Bajpayee, Esha Gupta and Anjali Patil were also present at the press conference and praised the film’s director Prakash Jha for having such a clear vision of the film. Esha, who plays an IPS officer in the film said, “I don’t know how a police officer behaves in real life or reacts to certain situations, but Prakashji had given me very clear set of instructions on how Rhea Menon should be on screen which made things simpler for me. “ Newcomer Anjali Patil, who plays a Naxalite, echoed Esha’s statement and added, “I have been told that 40 percent of activists in the movement are women. And you or I can’t even begin to think what they go through. But Prakashji’s direction was flawless and he made it easy for us actors.”
While Arjun Rampal and Manoj Bajpayee have worked with Jha before, it is Abhay’s first film with the film maker. Commenting on the character that he plays, Deol said, “We all feel for the cause of the Naxals. We all empathize with their issues. And as an actor I am glad I can do such roles. It is important to have such a graph in your career.”
Being a Dussehra release, Bajpayee was asked that would the film be burning the Box Office and who, according to him, was the Raavan. Bajpayee very cheekily replied, “This Dusshera Arjun Rampal is Raavan. For us- Rajan (Bajpayee), Kabir(Abhay ) and Juhi( Anjali Tripathi), IPS Adil Khan (character played by Arjun Rampal) and the system is the Raavan.”
comments powered by Disqus
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note