Budget release has been a flop show @Sensex
In the last 14 years, the stock market has put up a disappointing show on the day of Budget. Out of the 14 instances, Sensex has tumbled on eight different occasions.
A Zee Research Group (ZRG) analysis of the market performance on the day of Budget announcement in the past 14 years showed that the Bombay Stock Exchange index, Sensex, had been in the positive territory on just six occasions.
ZRG has incorporated those budgets which have been announced at 11 am. Till the year 2000, the Union budget was announced at 5 pm, but Yashwant Sinha began a new trend by announcing it at 11 am in 2001.
During the period under review, maximum six budgets have been presented by Chidambaram followed by Pranab Mukherjee (4), Yashwant Sinha (2), Jaswant Singh (1), and Arun Jaitley (1).
Out of the six instances when Chidambaram has presented the budget, key markets indices have tumbled on four different occasions. The Sensex had registered a maximum fall of 4 per cent under his regime.
It’s nothing like that market is harsh towards Chidambaram. The biggest loss was witnessed in 2009 with the Sensex closing at 5.8 per cent lower on the day former finance minister Pranab Mukherjee presented his first budget under the UPA-II government.
Similarly, the years when the market saw a decline on the Budget day were, 2013 (down 1.5 per cent), 2012 (1.2 per cent), 2008 (1.4 per cent), 2007 (4 per cent), 2004 (2.3 per cent), 2002 (3.9 per cent).
Likewise, on July 10, 2014, when Arun Jaitley has presented his first budget, Sensex closed the day down 0.28 per cent at 25,372.75.
comments powered by Disqus
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy? Part II
- Divorce rates lowest among Hindus; more prevalent in Muslims, reveals latest Census data | Know details
- Persistent cough? Five possible causes and why you should see your doctor!
- Gerard Pique agrees with extra holidays for Neymar
- Politics over Yoga? BMC makes 'Surya Namaskar' mandatory in all affiliated schools in Mumbai
- Russia might use Iran air base again to carry out attacks on terror targets in Syria