Centre launches scheme to check diabetes, hypertension
New Delhi: In a major initiative to check diabetes and hypertension, the Centre today launched a scheme under which the entire slum population and urban poor in Delhi will be screened for the diseases over the next two months.
The initiative is part of Union Health Ministry`s ambitious programme to screen people for diabetes and hypertension in 100 select districts and 33 cities with more than 10 lakh population.
Launching the scheme along with Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit, Health Minister Ghulam Nabi Azad said government will maintain a database of the people affected with the diseases and remedial measures would be provided to them through direct communication as well by sending SMS.
"We have launched the scheme to contain the disease. Diabetes proves to be a hurdle in treatment of other diseases and we must take effective steps to contain it," Azad said.
He said keeping in mind the need for early detection of Non Communicable Diseases for effective treatment, the ambitious programme for screening of diabetes and hypertension has been initiated by the government. The cost of the programme in 100 districts and 33 cities would be Rs 1,230 crore.
Asking the Delhi Government to implement the scheme effectively, he also appealed to all the Delhi MPs, MLAs and MCD councillors to extend their cooperation in making the programme a success. He said the screening of the people in Delhi would be completed by August 30.
The Minister said as the current programme does not include children, a separate pilot project would be launched in six select states in the country under which only children will be screened for the disease.
comments powered by Disqus
- Don't make triple talaq a political issue, appeals PM Modi
- How long will the triple talaq issue continue to bother Muslims?
- Raid in retired colonel's house in Meerut; firearms, animal skin, 1 crore cash recovered
- Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement over Kashmir issue
- Are the youth in Kashmir forced to join terror forces? Terrorist bears all
- IPL 2017: Robin Uthappa threatens Siddarth Kaul with body contact, then angry Yuvraj Singh takes over — WATCH
- 7th Pay Commission: Report on allowances submitted- Finance Ministry statement
- Is Dawood Ibrahim dead? Chhota Shakeel reveals about underworld don's health
- IPL 2017: Ever seen MS Dhoni swing this hard? Here's what happened to the ball — WATCH
- 'Baahubali 2: The Conclusion' makes history, becomes first film to enter Rs 100 crore club on Day 1