Cuba to test new AIDS vaccine on humans
Havana: Cuba`s top biotech teams have successfully tested a new AIDS vaccine on mice, and are ready to soon begin human testing, a leading researcher told a biotechnology conference in Havana.
"The new AIDS trial vaccine already was tested successfully (on mice) and now we are preparing a very small, tightly controlled phase one clinical trial" with HIV-positive
patients who are not in the advanced stages of disease, researcher Enrique Iglesias said yesterday.
Iglesias, who heads up the vaccine development team at the Biotech and Genetic Engineering Center (CIGB) here, was speaking at the International Biotech Conference-Havana 2012, which started yesterday in Cuba`s capital.
He told the crowd at the convention center that the vaccine TERAVAC-HIV-1 was made from recombinant proteins aiming "to cause a cellular response against the (HIV) virus."
While upbeat, the Cuban expert was quick to downplay high hopes for a long-awaited successful AIDS vaccine.
"So far, there have been more than 100 clinical tests (on humans) with HIV" in Cuba and other countries, "and all of them have failed," he stressed.
Cuba, the Americas` only one-party Communist-ruled state, spends more than USD 200 million a year on its AIDS prevention and care programs, including free care with antiretrovirals, some of them Cuban-made.
The CIGB, which groups about 20 research units on Havana`s leafy western end, is the engine behind a major Cuban export: biotech products including vaccines and other drugs.
The Caribbean country exports USD 400 million a year in these products, making them its official number-two export after nickel.
Some 600 scientists from about 38 countries are taking part in the event including Nobel-winning US chemist Peter Agre, also a medical doctor and molecular biologist.
comments powered by Disqus
- Congress leader Manish Tewari uses profanities for PM Modi in tweet
- Watch: Marshal of the Indian Air Force (Late) Arjan Singh's state funeral
- America flies fighter jets over North Korea amid rising tensions
- IAF Marshal Arjan Singh laid to rest with full state honours
- Arrested Al-Qaeda terrorist's Rohingya connection discovered
- Mumbai: 55-year-old mother gets her own son killed for sexually abusing her
- Manish Tewari posted abusive tweet against PM Modi on Sonia, Rahul instruction: BJP
- Dean Jones gets brutally trolled for his 'India needed rain to win' tweet
- Seeking a job at NASA? This is what you're signing up for
- MS Dhoni catches up on sleep at Chennai airport, Twitter is in love