How to prevent Dengue this monsoon
Dr DN Jha
Monsoon has an old bond with a number of diseases. The season’s climate, with temperatures ranging between 28-30 degrees Celsius with high humidity, is conducive to breeding of several types of mosquitoes that cause diseases.
Studies suggest that while heavy rainfall favours mosquito breeding, high temperature along with humidity increases its survival period during the adult phase and hence the disease transmission capacity of each mosquito magnifies several times.
Dengue is an infectious disease caused by any one of four types of dengue virus, which is transmitted by the bite of an infected female Aedes aegypti mosquito.
1. Dengue usually starts suddenly with a high fever, rash, severe headache, pain behind the eyes, and muscle and joint pain.
The severity of the joint pain has given dengue the name ‘break bone fever’.
2. Nausea, vomiting, and loss of appetite are common.
A rash usually appears 3 to 4 days after the start of the fever.
3. The illness can last up to 10 days, but complete recovery can take as long as a month.
4. Older children and adults usually get sicker than young children.
5. Most dengue infections result in relatively mild illness, but some can progress to dengue hemorrhagic fever.
6. Dengue hemorrhagic fever is fatal in about 5 percent of cases, mostly among children and young adults.
Continue with normal diet. In fever, the body, in fact, requires more food.
Dos and Don’ts:
(Dr DN Jha is Senior Consultant, Internal Medicine
Batra Hospital & Medical Research Centre)
comments powered by Disqus
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- DNA: Analysing the importance of Hindi language in our society
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video