ICC T20 World Cup 2012: Team Profile-Ireland
Surely, Ireland is no more looked at as a team, which doesn`t possess the capability of upsetting a few Test playing nations. Irish victories against teams like Pakistan, England have made them no push-overs. Under the experienced captain William Porterfield, Ireland will enter the tournament as promising challengers. A good show at the ‘Emerald Isle’ would go a long way in providing belief and in winning a lot of admiration and admirers. Their victory in a warm up match against Zimbabwe, again highlights the fact that the Irish boys look stronger than before.
Strength: The experience in the batting department will be the key. Niall`O Brian, William Porterfield, Kevin `O Brian will be the names to watch out for. No one can ever forget the 57 ball 100 by Kevin O` Brian at the Eden Gardens. Opener Paul Stirling has been in a stellar form and comes into the tournament as the highest T20 run-getter of the current year. The fielding of the Irish boys have been a highlight. Boyd Rankin will be leading the bowling unit ably supported by the veteran Alex Cusack. And if things work according to plan, then Ireland have the potential and the machinery to advance in the tournament.
Weakness: Combining individual performances into team efforts and victory has been the problem. Apart from Kevin`O Brian, they do not have any out and out match winners. Lack of match winners will surely hurt them. Ireland also lack the self belief, to go the distance.
Opportunity: One big upset could see them advance to the next round .But the task is easier said than done as they have been pooled with giants Australia and home team Sri Lanka. If for example Kevin has a good day, that would be Irelands best bet of advancing.
Threats: Ireland should not get over-awed by the situation. They should feel they belong to this stage, because they would be facing monsters like Sri Lanka and Australia. They should feel comfortable about the stage.
MUST WATCH PLAYER: Kevin O` Brian
comments powered by Disqus
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Kejriwal's electricity bill exceeds Rs 1 lakh in two months: RTI
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Bangladeshi newspaper mocks Indian team with half-shaved heads
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional
- Manipur ambush: Key NSCN(K) leader involved in killing of 18 Army personnel arrested by NIA