Indian discovers drug for people suffering from Alzheimer`s
New Delhi: A new drug derived from citrus fruits can help people suffering from Alzheimer`s disease to improve their quality of life, claims a researcher of the All Indian Institute of Medical Sciences.
Dr Mahaveer Golechha, senior research fellow, Department of Pharmacology, AIIMS, who discovered the anti-Alzheimer`s potential of citrus fruits has been awarded the prestigious Alzheimer`s Drug Discovery Foundation`s, USA Young Investigator Scholarship Award.
"Alzheimer`s disease (AD) is a neurodegenerative disorder that generally affects the elderly. Till date the treatment was symptomatic but this new drug will provide work pathologically and have no side effect," Golechha said.
"This drug Naringin is a bioflavonoid. Naringin exerted its effects through multiple mechanisms, like antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and anti-apoptotic. This drug has been discovered from citrus fruits," he said.
This work has been published in the Biological and Pharmaceutical Bulletin, an international journal of Japanese Society of Pharmacology.
Alzheimer`s disease is the most common form of disorders that impairs mental functioning. The most common symptom of the disease in the early stages include difficulty in recalling recently observed events. As the disease advances, it leads to confusion, irritability and aggression, mood swings, language breakdown, long-term memory loss, and the general withdrawal of the sufferer.
The global incidence of dementia is estimated to be 24.3 million, with 4.6 million new cases being diagnosed annually.
It is estimated that by 2025 at least 34 million people worldwide will be afflicted by Alzheimer`s disease.
comments powered by Disqus
- Maharashtra: Video of man being hacked to death in suspected gang war goes viral
- US keeps Pakistan on list of countries providing 'safe havens' to terrorists
- This is what Ram Nath Kovind said after winning Presidential Poll - Watch
- DNA: All you need to know about Shimla gang-rape case
- Reliance AGM: Know how you can get a free Jio 4G smartphone
- WATCH: Harmanpreet Kaur's sensational six in BBL that even left Adam Gilchrist awestruck
- 'Expelled' from Congress, Shankersinh Vaghela heaps praise on RSS
- Presidential Election 2017 Results: The states where Meira Kumar got more votes than Ram Nath Kovind
- Ram Nath Kovind vs Meira Kumar: Here is how states voted in Presidential Election 2017
- WATCH: Fuming Harmanpreet Kaur leaves Deepti Sharma in tears after committing to suicidal run against Australia