Japanese Encephalitis vaccine launched in India
New Delhi: Austrian drug firm Intercell AG today said its Hyderabad-based partner Biological E Ltd has launched Jeev, a vaccine to protect children and adults from Japanese Encephalitis (JE), in India.
The vaccine, manufactured by Biological E Ltd at its facility in Hyderabad and based on Intercell`s technology was approved by the Drugs Controller General of India (DCGI), Intercell AG said in a statement on its website.
"With the market launch in India, we have taken a major step forward in achieving our goal of rolling-out this Japanese Encephalitis vaccine in endemic countries with a high medical need in order to protect children and adults against this terrible disease," Intercell CEO Thomas Lingelbach said.
He added that launch of the drug has been possible due to the company`s strategic partnership with Biological E.
In 2005, Intercell and Biological E had signed a contract for the development, manufacturing, marketing and distribution in India and the Indian subcontinent of Intercell`s Japanese Encephalitis vaccine.
An epidemic outbreak of Japanese Encephalitis in Uttar Pradesh, India, and Nepal killed more than 1,200 children in 2005.
"With the launch of Jeev, the indigenous vaccine with excellent safety profile and proven efficacy in Indian subjects is now available to doctors for prevention of Japanese Encephalitis in children and adults," Biological E Chairman and Managing Director Vijay Kumar Datla said.
comments powered by Disqus
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed?
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part II
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part III
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part IV
- Why is "Make in India" given more importance than people dying of hunger?
- Research for 'Veerappan' took 15 years: Ram Gopal Varma
- ICSE ISC Results 2016: CISCE.org Board Class 10th (X) & 12th (XII) Result is likely to be declared on May 6, 2016
- Happy flying! Air tickets of 1-hour flights could cost just Rs 2,500
- DHSE Kerala HSC (+2) Result 2016: Keralaresults.nic.in Class 12th Plus two Result 2016 Kerala Board is likely to be declared on May 9, 2016
- Time flies! Emraan Hashmi reminisces four years of 'Jannat 2'