Lord’s will be lucky for us: Rahul Banerjee
Vineet Ramakrishnan & Feroz Khan
Indian men archery team beat Australia to enter the final of the Olympic qualification round to book their London berths. Riding high on confidence, the team will be looking to tame the windy conditions at the much revered Lord`s to enter their names in the history books by clinching a medal at the London Olympics.
Zeenews.com caught up with archer Rahul Banerjee who spoke on the chances of winning medal at the prestigious event and his excitement at competing on the ground known to the world as the `Mecca of Cricket`.
How helpful was the conditioning camp at Gangtok?
The preparation at Gangtok before the qualifications was helpful. We spent around 20 days there and it helped us not just with the `acclimatising with the wind’ factor but, since we used to train for near about 8-9 hours daily, it also served us well during the qualification. It was because of this that we were able to make the cut for the Olympics with a good score even after I`d missed quite a number of shots. Before Olympics, qualifying with such a big score has been an extra motivating factor for us.
How would you analyse your team members?
Tarundeep and I have been performing well for the last few months. We have been playing together for the past three years. We have participated in Commonwealth Games, Asian Games and then the World Cup. So the coordination between us will be the key factor in the windy conditions at London.
What about the women`s team?
Well, they are world No 2 and obviously they are favourites for a medal and Deepika is the world`s number one archer at present. At the same time, you cannot predict that the best in the world will win because the wind and the performance on the particular day will be a decisive factor.
How excited are you about plying your trade at the Lord`s?
Well, it is the Mecca of Cricket. I have been told it will be lucky for us. It will be a proud moment when archery will be organised on the cricket ground for the first time, but at the same time it is just an archery field for us which is of more significant. We don`t want to take any extra pressure and want to continue with the good performance of the last few tournaments.
comments powered by Disqus
- Indian Army destroys Pakistani military posts to prevent infiltration
- Exclusive: In conversation with Yogi Adityanath, CM of Uttar Pradesh
- Revealed - The truth behind Rajiv Gandhi's assassination
- Amarnath Yatra: High-level security meet held in Delhi
- Political backing has increased the scope of operations on LoC: General Bikram Singh
- Vishu Bumper 2017: Kerala lottery result declared; winner gets Rs 4 crore as first prize - Check winning ticket numbers here
- Vivek Oberoi's gift to acid attack survivor Lalita Benbansi on her wedding day will melt your heart!
- Pakistani posts destroyed by Indian Army in Naushera sector - Watch Video
- manresults.nic.in Manipur Examination Result 2017 declared: Check Manipur Class 12th Results 2017 /COHSEM 12th Result
- US revives New Silk Road, Indo-Pacific Economic Corridor to counter China's OBOR; India may play key role