Magnets can help extract truth: Scientists
London: Scientists have found that magnetic interference with the brain makes it impossible to lie, a discovery they say could be the most effective way to extract information from crime suspects unwilling to tell the truth.
Estonian researchers found that stimulating part of the front brain with magnets alters the simplicity of lying.
The team found that when magnets were applied to either the right or left side of the dorsolateral prefrontal cortex, found directly behind the forehead, it makes a person to lie or tell the truth, depending on which side was stimulated.
However, magnetic interference directed at another part of the brain, the parietal lobe, was found to have no impact on the people`s decision-making, the researchers said.
"Spontaneous choice to lie more or less can be influenced by brain stimulation," study researchers Inga Karton and Talis Bachmann were quoted as saying by the Daily Mail.
For their study, published in the journal Behavioural Brain Research, the researchers recruited a small group of 16 volunteers who were given coloured disks.
Then, half of them were given magnetic stimulation on the right side of their prefrontal cortex, half on the left.
They then had two options: to lie about what colour their disks were, or tell the truth.
Results showed that the volunteers who had their left DPC stimulated lied more often, while the ones with the right DPC stimulated were more likely to tell the truth.
The experiment was repeated while a different brain region -- the parietal lobe --was stimulated and it produced no effect, the researchers said.
comments powered by Disqus
- B'desh PM Sheikh Hasina slams Pak in UN for 1971 atrocities
- India replies strongly to Pak PM in UN, terms Pakistan as 'Terroristan'
- Cornered Pakistan plays Kashmir-card again at UN
- Honeypreet's husband Vishwas Gupta addresses a press conference - Watch
- Governance is not about votes, nation comes first: PM Modi
- Meet Nirvaan, India's smallest and youngest baby born after 22 weeks
- China's snub to Pakistan at UN: Won't meddle in Kashmir, solve it with India
- IRCTC blocks debit card payment gateway for several banks
- Toddler dies half an hour after allegedly being administered polio drops in Ludhiana
- Golmaal Again: Ajay Devgn - Rohit Shetty’s funny team is back to tickle your funny bone – Watch trailer