Maruti Suzuki WagonR Vs Stingray: Case of identical twins?
New Delhi: Expanding its hatchback portfolio Maruti Suzuki launched the Stingray this week.
Maruti says that Stingray has been launched with an aim to meet aspirations of young India.
The Stingray is an extension of Maruti’s existing model — WagonR, though the automaker has not associated the WagonR moniker with the car unlike its international model where it is known as Maruti WagonR Stingray.
With almost the same specifications and features, it can’t be denied that the Stingray might eat into WagonR’s market. However, what makes the company launch a product vis-à-vis its existing best seller is a question that keeps bothering.
Let’s have a comparative look at both the cars (Comparison based on the LXi models of both WagonR and Stingray).
Engine and Power: Both WagonR and Stingray have 1.0-litre 67.1bhp 12V K Series petrol engine with an engine displacement (cc) of 998. The engine comes mated to a 5-Speed manual transmission. In terms of power and performance both cars have 67.1bhp@6200rpm power with a torque of 90Nm@3500rpm.
Standard LXi Features: The LXi model Stingray and WagonR have same standard features — Air Conditioning, Power Steering, Power Windows and Central Locking.
CD player, Anti-Lock Brake System, Leather seats are not complimentary in both the cars.
In terms of suspension system, steering, brake system and fuel, both WagonR and Stingray have uncanny similarity. Stingray and WagonR boast of 20.51 kilometer per litre mileage and adhere to BS IV + OBD II emission norm compliance.
Price (ex-Showroom Delhi): When it comes to the Indian market, price becomes a determining factor. The entry-level Stingray is priced at Rs 4.09 lakh while the price of the top model goes up to Rs 4.66 lakh. On the other hand, the price of WagonR for the entry and top model ranges between 3.57 lakh and 4.48 lakh respectively. Stingray entry level starts with LXi model at 4.09 lakh while price of WagonR LXi is 3.91 lakh.
CNG: The CNG option is missing in Stingray. Though, buyers have the option to install CNG kit in the market, a company fitted CNG has better credibility. The WagonR CNG model comes at a price of Rs 4.50 lakh that boasts a mileage of 26.6 (highway).
Assessment: In terms of style, comfort and convenience, Stingray leads with better marks. The Stingray is more stylish and wears a sporty look. Stingray sports some high-end-features that are usually associated with premium cars. It also has refreshing packaging in terms of interiors which give the car a very posh look.
WagonR on the other hand is macho and the credibility and reliability of the car lies on its utility.
In terms of standard features, both cars are more or less like identical twins. As far as price of the cars are concerned, WagonR has been wisely priced.
However if you are planning to buy a car on the basis of designs and looks, Stingray certainly is the winner.
As for now, WagonR and Stingray are like two swords in a sheath.
comments powered by Disqus
- DNA: US lists Pak among countries providing 'safe havens' to terrorists
- US keeps Pakistan on list of countries providing 'safe havens' to terrorists
- This is what Ram Nath Kovind said after winning Presidential Poll - Watch
- Maharashtra: Video of man being hacked to death in suspected gang war goes viral
- Monsoon showers in Delhi-NCR cause waterlogging, traffic jams in many areas
- Kangana Ranaut severely injured during 'Manikarnika' shoot, rushed to hospital
- Presidential Election 2017 Results: The states where Meira Kumar got more votes than Ram Nath Kovind
- 1100 jobs in IMD: SSC Scientific Assistants Recruitment 2017; check ssconline.nic.in
- WATCH: Fuming Harmanpreet Kaur leaves Deepti Sharma in tears after committing to suicidal run against Australia
- Ram Nath Kovind vs Meira Kumar: Here is how states voted in Presidential Election 2017