Mystery illness: Nails grow out of hair follicles
London: A woman has been labeled a medical mystery after falling victim to an unidentified illness that causes nails to grow out of her hair follicles, the Daily Mail reported Friday.
Shanyna Isom, 28, suffered an allergic reaction three years ago which caused the debilitating syndrome, which has left her struggling to walk and carry out daily chores.
The university student was left covered in hard scabs as "nails" replaced the hair on her body and doctors are still in the dark about how to cure Shanyna`s mysterious illness, according to the newspaper.
Isom lives with her family in Memphis and was in her first year at university when the nightmare began.
In September 2009 she was prescribed steroids after suffering an asthma attack and within hours the law student was "itching" all over her body. Shanyna became bedridden as the illness took over and doctors tried to determine what was wrong.
In 2011 she began treatment in Baltimore where doctors established that the bumps were in fact human nails slowly covering Shanyna`s body.
Today doctors have yet to diagnose her but have been able to control her symptoms.
She relies on family and friends for financial help and they have rallied around her for support.
comments powered by Disqus
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'