Nelson Mandela dies: Timeline of his life
July 18, 1918 – Nelson Rolihlahla Mandela was born in Mvezo.
1937 - He attended Wesleyan college in Fort Beaufort.
1939 – Mandela boycotts University policies and was asked to leave. Completes his BA through correspondence and studies law at University of Witwatersrand.
1943 – Joins African National Congress (ANC) as an activist.
1944 - Forms the Youth League of the ANC.
1948 - Becomes actively involved in politics after the victory of National Party which supported apartheid.
1956 - Arrested and charged with treason.
1961 - Becomes leader of Umkhonto we Sizwe, armed wing of ANC.
1962 – Arrested and sent to prison in Johannesburg Fort.
1964 – Sentenced to life imprisonment for political activities.
1982 - Mandela was transferred from Robben Island to Pollsmoor Prison, along with other senior ANC leaders.
1985 - President PW Botha offers to free Mandela which he refuses.
1988 - Moved to Victor Verster Prison.
1990 - State President FW de Klerk lifts the ban on the ANC and other anti-apartheid organisations, and announced that Mandela would shortly be released from prison.
1990 - Mandela was released from Victor Verster Prison.
1991 - ANC holds its first national conference with Nelson Mandela as the leader.
1993 - Nelson Mandela and FW de Klerk are awarded Nobel Peace Prize.
1994 - Mandela is elected as the first black President of the country.
1999 - Decides not to run for second term for President and retires.
July 2001 - Diagnosed and treated for prostate cancer.
2003 - CNN incorrectly announces Mandela`s death and the website publishes his obituary due to some technical fault.
2004 - Announces that he is retiring from public life.
2009 - United Nations General Assembly announces that Mandela`s birthday will be celebrated as `Mandela Day`.
2012 - Hospitalised with severe lung infection.
December 05, 2013 - Nelson Mandela dies at his Johannesburg home surrounded by his family, after a long battle against lung infection.
comments powered by Disqus
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state