Number of cancer cases on the rise in Himachal Pradesh
Shimla: The number of cancer cases has risen to 23,241 in Himachal Pradesh with the addition of 2,471 cases during 2011-12, Health Minister Rajiv Bindal told the state Assembly today.
Replying to a question by Inder Singh (BJP), Bindal said these included 623 cases of Respiratory and Intra-thoracic organ cancer cases, 519 cases of gentio urinary organ cancer, 478 cases of digestive track, 302 cases of bone, skin and breast cancer, 179 cases of oral cancer and 370 of other types of cancer.
These patients are undergoing treatment at the Government Medical Colleges (IGMC), Shimla and Dr R P Government Medical college, Tanda and the state government was conducting the National Cancer Control Programmes to create awareness and identify new cases.
During past three years, Rs 1.21 crore have been spent on these programmes in Chamba, Kinnuar and Lahaul Spiti districts where geriatric centres have been established and 48,000 people were tested for cancer and 2,471 new cases were registered in 2011-12 while the number cases had risen from 16,405 in 2009 to 19,705 in 2010.
The Health Minister also informed that 2,992 drug samples were taken during last three years to ascertain the quality under drug and cosmetics Act and in 66 cases, the drugs were found to be sub-standard and adulterated.
He said that 18 people were convicted, 12 others were acquitted, 36 cases were pending in the courts and 133 cases were under adjudication.
Bindal said that 695 cases were registered during 2001 and 2002 under food safety and standard Act and prevention of food adulteration Act.
comments powered by Disqus
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets