PSCC recommends declaration of tea as `national drink`
Shimla: The Parliamentary Standing Committee on Commerce (PSCC) headed by BJP Rajya Sabha member Shanta Kumar has recommended declaration of tea as a `national drink`.
Stating this at Palampur on Friday, Kumar said the 102nd report of the Committee on the Tea Industry had placed in both houses of the Parliament that 96 percent to 99 percent people in both Urban and Rural areas of the country consume tea and as such it has already acquired the status of a national drink.
Right from people living in huts to visiting five star hotels, he said, tea was consumed by people and the only hope for the people, especially women, in the hill state of Himachal Pradesh where the tea Industry be developed, he said.
Kumar also said that the Committee made an exhaustive tour of the tea and coffee growing areas and listened to the problems of the cultivators who made about 100 recommendations for revival and strengthening of the tea and coffee industry.
A matter of concern in Himachal was that the area under tea cultivation had shrunk from 2300 hectares to 1100 hectares and immediate steps needed to be taken to save the industry, he added.
The Committee also recommended that a package be announced for the tea industry within three months and 50 per cent subsidy be given to coffee growers for regeneration and replantation to revive their industry.
It also recommended modification of MNREGA to cover the labour engaged by coffee plantations to meet the shortage of workers, he added.
comments powered by Disqus
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire