Social media warms up to Pakistan polls
Siddharth Tak/ Zee Research Group
Pakistani cricketer turned politician Imran Khan has competition from his own party when it comes to popularity ratings on social media. The two together have suddenly brought alive the social media ahead of the general elections in Pakistan, while rest of the politicians are yet to fully warm up to the new media.
The statistics show that Imran Khan is the most popular leader on social media site Facebook with 8,03,488 likes for his page. Following Imran Khan is his party page ‘Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI)’ with 6,32,381 likes. Pakistan Muslim League – Nawaz (PML-N) led by Nawaz Sharif has 1,77,104 likes while Jamat-e-Islami has 1,39,885. Pakistan People’s Party page has 44,248 likes on FB. These numbers are enumerated as of May 03, 2013.
Social media platforms like Facebook and Twitter have only recently become popular among Pakistani politicians. In fact, most of the political parties are using them for the upcoming elections in Pakistan. Pakistan is due to go to polls on May 11, 2013 and political parties are turning to the social media sites to promote their agenda and attract country`s 80 million registered electors.
There are about eight million Facebook users in the Pakistan, of which a great majority are under the age of 36. Among 8.6 million users of Facebook in Pakistan, 70 per cent are male while 30 per cent are female. Also, around two million Pakistanis use the micro-blogging site Twitter and just over a million are LinkedIn users. The number of social media users in Pakistan is increasing by an average of seven percent a year.
Among the top five Pakistan political leaders on Twitter, Imran Khan has the highest (5,64,173) number of followers. Marvi Memon, leader of Pakistan Muslim League, follows with 1,06,843 Twitter followers, while Maryam Nawaz Sharif, the daughter of Nawaz Sharif, has 69,309 followers. Sherry Rehman, Pakistan`s ambassador to the US, has 66,907 followers and the general secretary of Pakistan Muslim League-Quaid (PML-Q), Mushahid Hussain Syed enjoys 49,135 followers. These stats are as of May 03, 2013.
According to a World Bank 2012 report, Pakistan had about 2.91 crore Internet users as of 2010.
comments powered by Disqus
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi