TN announces schemes for expecting mothers
Chennai: The Tamil Nadu government today announced a slew of measures relating to Health and Family Welfare, including providing free sanitary napkins to adolescent girls in rural areas and doubling the aid given to pregnant women under a maternity financial assistance scheme.
"Considering the welfare of the rural adolescent girls, Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa has directed implementing a new scheme to provide free sanitary napkins to them at a cost of
Rs 46 crore," Health and Family Welfare Minister V S Vijay informed the state Assembly.
Making the announcements for his department for the year 2011-12, he said the scheme would be launched in all 32 districts of the state this year itself.
Under the Dr Muthulakshmi Reddy Maternity Financial Assistance Scheme, he announced hike of assistance from Rs 6,000 to Rs 12,000 and said Rs 596 crore would be allotted for this purpose.
Further, he announced allotting a sum of Rs five crore towards identifying persons with birth defects in each household and offer them medical treatment.
Health workers will be asked to identify such persons, he said.
Among others, Vijay announced steps to increase number of MBBS seats in Chengalpattu Medical College and Kilpauk Medical College and Hospital, forming separate wing in the PWD to maintain Health department buildings and starting ART
(anti-retroviral treatment) centres for HIV-AIDS treatment in select hospitals.
comments powered by Disqus
- Honeypreet's husband Vishwas Gupta addresses a press conference - Watch
- Sushma Swaraj slams Pakistan over terrorism in UNGA address
- Governance is not about votes, nation comes first: PM Modi
- Shabir Shah confesses to links with Hafiz Saeed: ED chargeheet
- DU professor insults goddess Durga on Facebook
- Meet Nirvaan, India's smallest and youngest baby born after 22 weeks
- Virat Kohli plays 10 times better when he fights with people: Stuart Clark warns Australia
- Honeypreet didn't let me come close to Gurmeet Ram Rahim, feared I may marry him: Rakhi Sawant
- Live - IND vs AUS, 3rd ODI: Rohit Sharma notches up 37th ODI fifty
- Dawood's wife visited Mumbai last year to meet father: Iqbal Kaskar to cops