Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: It takes fraction of a second to delete a file or folder but it takes a lot of effort to get them back.
If you have deleted an important file by mistake you can still recover it. Just follow these steps and know how to recover or restore a file that was deleted from the computer.
Recover lost or deleted files
A. If you have accidently modified or deleted a file, you can restore it from a backup (if you're using Windows backup).
B. You can also try to restore it from a previous version. Previous versions are copies of files and folders that Windows automatically saves as part of a restore point. Previous versions are sometimes referred to as shadow copies.
Restoring files from a backup
To restore a file from a backup, make sure the media or drive that your backup is saved on is available, and then follow these steps:
Follow these steps:
- Open Backup and Restore by clicking the Start button
- Click Control Panel
- Now click System and Maintenance
- Then click Backup and Restore.
- Click Restore my files, and then follow the steps in the wizard.
Restoring files from a backup Previous Version
If you accidentally delete or rename a file or folder, you can restore a previous version of that file or folder, but you need to know the location where the file or folder was saved.
To restore a file or folder that was deleted or renamed, follow these steps:
Follow these steps:
- Navigate to the folder that used to contain the file or folder, right-click it, and then click Restore previous versions.
- If the folder was at the top level of a drive, for example C:\, right-click the drive and then click Restore previous versions.
- Double-click a previous version of the folder that contains the file or folder you want to restore.
- Drag the file or folder that you want to restore to another location, such as your desktop or another folder.
- The version of the file or folder is saved to the location that you selected.
Note: If you don't remember the exact file or folder name or its location, you can search for it by typing part of the name in the search box in the computer folder.