Ahmedabad: The voting for civic polls in Gujarat was held on February 17, 2018. Notifications for the elections were declared on January 29, 2018, and elections nominations forms were accepted till February 3, 2018.
As per the state election commission, Dahod municipality registered the highest turnout of 76.67 percent while Rajkot recorded 50.17 percent turnout. Polling was held in 75 municipalities or Nagarpalikas.
The results were declared on Monday for 75 Nagar Palikas (municipalities).
The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) and the Congress were locked in a direct fight in the civic polls. In the last local elections, BJP had won 107 seats out of total 123 seats in 2016
Following are the latest updates:
- Karamsad Municipality (a Patidar dominated area) in Kheda district goes to BJP.
- Trends for all 75 municipalities are in - BJP leading in 44, Congress in 27, others in four.
- Trends in 71 municipalities - BJP leads in 41 while Congress is leading in 27, others leading in 3 municipalities.
- BJP wins from ward number 1 Karjan Nagarpalika in Vadodara.
- Overall, trends in 50 municipalities show the BJP leading in 27 while the Congress leading in 20.
- Congress wins in ward number 1 in Karjan in Vadodara district.