Race for CM candidate hots up in Cong in poll-bound Gujarat
Ahmedabad: Intense lobbying has started for nomination as Congress' chief ministerial candidate in Gujarat assembly polls to be held later this year.
Ever since the party hinted at fighting the polls with a CM face, social media campaigns projecting various leaders have become the order of the day in Gujarat Congress.
The front runners in the race are Leader of Opposition Shankarsinh Vaghela and Pradesh Congress Committee (PCC) chief Bharatsinh Solanki, according to party leaders.
Other probables are national spokesperson Shaktisinh Gohil, Arjun Modhwadia and Siddarth Patel, both former state unit chiefs.
"There is a race between Vaghela and Solanki to get declared as the chief ministerial candidate and intense lobbying is on with the central leadership," Congress sources said.
Many in the party believe that Congress this time has a good chance to defeat the BJP in Prime Minister Narendra Modi's home state.
They say factors like the absence Modi from the scheme of things in Gujarat, Patel quota agitation, Dalit unrest, anti-incumbency and want of a credible leader in the BJP could all work in Congress' favour.
The BJP has been in power in Gujarat since 1998.
Projection of a strong CM face will give it an edge in the poll, said some leaders, who do not want to be identified.
Supporters of Vaghela have launched a Facebook campaign page "Vaghela as CM" to push his candidature. The page describes Vaghela as the only available option with the Congress to defeat the BJP in Gujarat.
Posters supporting Solanki have come up at places projecting him as a chief ministerial probable.
Party sources said that both the camps are making all attempts to win over the support of other state leaders.
Also, their trips to Delhi have become a frequent these days. Vaghela flew to Delhi earlier this week to meet Ahmed Patel, the political secretary of Congress President Sonia Gandhi.
Patel is from Gujarat and is said to have a decisive say in Gujarat party affairs.
In an earlier interview to PTI, Solanki had indicated that the party could declare a chief ministerial face in Gujarat, on the lines of Punjab.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why