10 great reasons why you should breastfeed your baby!
Breast milk contains all essential vitamins and nutrients your baby needs in first six months of life.
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: We have known how the benefits of breastfeeding extend well beyond basic nutrition. Breastfeeding is one of the most effective ways to ensure child's health and survival. It is recommended that a mother begins breastfeed her baby within one hour of birth to ensure that the newborn gets the colostrum or 'first milk', which is rich in protective factors.
Every year, the first week of August is being observed as World Breastfeeding Week to encourage mothers and families to support breastfeeding, which is not only good for both mother and the child. Here are 10 great reasons to breastfeed your baby:
- Breast milk contains all essential vitamins and nutrients your baby needs in first six months of life. It is also packed with disease-fighting substances that protect your newborn from illness.
- Breastfeeding is good for babies' brain health. Evidence suggests that babies who were breastfed have better IQs, academic achievement, working memory and motor function.
- Breastfeeding can protect your baby from developing allergies and other eventual health issues.
- Not breastfeeding increases baby girls' risk of developing breast cancer in later life.
- Breast milk is more digestible then formula.
- Breastfeeding reduces a child's risk of becoming overweight as a teen or adult.
- Breastfeeding promotes bonding between mother and the baby.
- Breastfeeding reduces mother's risk of developing some types of cancer – ovarian and breast cancer.
- Nursing helps mom lose the extra weight gained during pregnancy.
- Breastfeeding can reduce mother's stress level and their risk of postpartum depression