7 things you should do when you have food poisoning!
Here are a few tips that can minimise your discomfort and help you recover fast from food poisoning.
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: Food poisoning is an illness caused by consuming contaminated food. It is usually self-treatable and resolves within days to weeks.
Common symptoms of food poisoning include – nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea, cramps.
Most cases of food poisoning clear up in a few days, but infants, pregnant women, and the elderly must try to prevent food poisoning because of the potential for irreversible damage.
Here are a few tips that can minimise your discomfort and help you recover fast:
- Drink as much liquids – water, decaffeinated tea, or juice - as you can to replace lost fluids and prevent dehydration.
- Avoid alcohol, milk or caffeinated beverages as they may make you feel worse.
- Begin eating bland foods such as rice, bananas, toast, crackers, etc.
- Avoid spicy foods, fried foods, dairy and foods that are high in fat and sugar until you're feeling better.
- Add probiotics to your diet once you recover from the bout of food poisoning. Probiotics can help restore the good bacteria in the intestines and speed up the recovery process.
- Try some herbs - basil, cumin seeds, fennel, coriander – as they can alleviate the symptoms of food poisoning due to the antimicrobial properties in them.
- Rest as much as possible as food poisoning can cause tiredness and fatigue.
However, you should see a doctor if your symptoms are severe or don't start to improve in a few days.