New Delhi: There seems to be no end to the list of benefits that one can get from doing aerobic exercise. As per a latest research, taking part in aerobic exercises for four times a week may increase brain volume in people with mild cognitive impairment (MCI).
Mild cognitive impairment, also known as incipient dementia, or isolated memory impairment, is a brain disorder in which thinking abilities are mildly impaired. The condition has ben linked with higher risk of developing Alzheimer’s disease.
Research clearly suggests that aerobic activity, such as walking, bicycling or swimming, is good for your health regardless of your age, gender and race. In general, it is recommended that one should aim for at least 30 minutes of physical activity every day.
Here are some health benefits of doing aerobic exercise regularly:
- Aerobic exercise helps you lose weight and keep you fit when combined with a healthy diet.
- Regular exercise reduces your risk of various conditions, including cardiovascular disease, stroke, high blood pressure, obesity, type 2 diabetes, metabolic syndrome and certain types of cancer.
- Exercise boosts your immune system, thereby increasing your resistance to illness and stress.
- Aerobic exercise also eases symptoms of depression and anxiety – your body releases chemicals called endorphins during periods of exercise, emotional stress, etc. Endorphins help induce feelings of pleasure or euphoria.
- Studies have linked life expectancy to exercise - people who participate in regular aerobic exercise tend to live longer than those who don't exercise regularly.
The gift of health is priceless, and so are the benefits of aerobic exercise. So, get out and get moving to feel better and enjoy life to the fullest. However, if you have not been doing an aerobic program for a long time or have a chronic health condition, talk to your doctor before you get started with an exercise.