Are you depressed? Ways to manage stress, anxiety!
Globally, an estimated 350 million people of all ages suffer from depression, says the World Health Organisation (WHO).
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: Depression is a serious medical condition and can happen to anybody, including the children. Depression is more than just a feeling of being sad or fed up for a few days. It causes severe symptoms that can affect a person's thoughts, behavior, feelings and sense of well-being. At worst, it can lead to suicide.
Globally, an estimated 350 million people of all ages suffer from depression, says the World Health Organisation (WHO). More women are affected by depression than men.
In general, people with depression have several of the following –
- Feeling sad
- Loss of energy or fatigue
- Change in appetite
- Not being able to concentrate
- Feelings of worthlessness, guilt, or hopelessness
- Thoughts of death or suicide.
Fortunately, much can be done to prevent and treat depression. If you are feeling down, or think you may be depressed, there are effective steps you can take, including medication, healthy lifestyle habits, staying connected, etc. So, if you're dealing with depression symptoms, here are a few tips provided by WHO to help you cope with your day-to-day fears and anxieties:
- Talk to someone you trust about your feelings.
- Seek professional help. Your local health-care worker or doctor is a good place to start.
- Stay connected. Keep in contact with family and friends.
- Exercise regularly, even if it’s just a short walk.
- Stick to regular eating and sleeping habits.
- Avoid or restrict alcohol intake and refrain from using illicit drugs; they can worsen depression.
- Continue doing things you have always enjoyed, even when you don’t feel like it.
- Be aware of persistent negative thoughts and self-criticism and try to replace them with positive thoughts. Congratulate yourself on your achievements.
Adolescence and young adulthood present many opportunities – for meeting new people, visiting new places and finding a direction in life. Yet, these years can also be a time of stress. But, there is a lot that you can do to keep mentally strong. If you feel that you may be heading for depression, talk to someone you trust or seek professional help.