Digestive problems – Follow these tips for smooth digestion
Bad digestion can give rise to a host of problems, including gas or flatulance, stomach bloating, constipation, heartburn, and fatigue.
New Delhi: Having good digestion is important because your digestive health can have direct impact on overall health and body function.
Bad digestion can give rise to a host of problems, including gas or flatulence, stomach bloating, constipation, heartburn, and fatigue.
Here are a few tips for improving your digestive health:
- Opt for a diet that is rich in fiber and whole grains, vegetables, legumes, and fruits to improve your digestive health.
- Make sure that you consume both types of fiber – soluble and insoluble fiber – which help your digestive system in different ways.
- Chew your food thoroughly to make your digestive system easier for digestion.
- Practice mindful eating which is a powerful tool to gain control of your eating habits. Try to savor every bite, enjoying the flavor and textures of food. In fact, several studies have shown that mindful eating strategies might help with weight loss.
- Drink enough water, especially warm water. Drinking warm water in the morning and at least 30 minutes before meals can help clean your digestive tract while enhancing the production of gastric juice - responsible for breaking down foods you eat - in your stomach. Insufficient water intake can lead to constipation.
- Limit foods that are high in fat because fatty foods tend to slow down the digestive process, making you more prone to constipation.
Remember, it's true that there are certain foods that can lead to improvements in digestion, but the lifestyle you live, including your eating habits can make a big difference. Overeating can cause indigestion, so always prefer smaller meals. Also, avoid late night meals as our digestive system slows down at night.