Ditch pills, opt for healthy food for essential nutrients
The best way to have a healthy body is to drop the consumption of pills and medicines as substitutes for vegetables and include food which is packed with vitamins, minerals, and essential nutrients.
New Delhi: The best way to have a healthy body is to drop the consumption of pills and medicines as substitutes for vegetables and include food which is packed with vitamins, minerals, and essential nutrients, says an expert.
Sujetha Shetty, Nutritionist at Gympik, an online fitness discovery platform, has listed a few healthy food options:
* Black Beans: Beans are good for your heart as they are full of healthy fat, fibre, minerals, vitamins, antioxidants and protein. Its low glycemic index helps release energy slowly and keeps you fuller for longer. Moreover, beans help in reducing Cholesterol. There are various types of beans -- from pinto beans and black beans to garbanzo beans.
* Sweet potatoes: Sweet potatoes are packed with nutrients. The entire potato is edible, even the skin contains essential antioxidants. This low calorie nutritious powerhouse contains fibre, potassium, calcium, vitamin A (beta-carotene), vitamin B1, vitamin B2, vitamin B6, vitamin C, manganese, potassium, phosphorus, niacin, copper and pantothenic acid.
* Eggs: Loaded with high quality protein, eggs contain vitamins A, B6, D, E, K, B12, selenium, essential amino acids, folate, phosphorus, and minerals like iron, calcium, zinc and copper. The zeaxanthin and lutein antioxidants help reduce the chances of major eye disorders. It`s highly filling, thus, consuming eggs daily help shedding some extra kilos too.
* Banana: This fruit is a powerhouse of potassium, fibre, magnesium, vitamin C, B6, manganese, copper, protein and calcium. Full of nutrients, the benefits of banana can easily give all the other fruits a run for their money.
Bananas are easily available and are not costly either. This fruit lowers the risk of hearts diseases, cures ulcers and constipation.
* Beetroot: Beetroot contains betalins, an antioxidant that helps prevent cancer and other chronic diseases. It also contains fibre, folate, vitamin C and essential minerals such as manganese, magnesium and potassium.
Beetroot helps in boosting liver, bone health, pancreas and kidneys. It also helps in boosting stamina, lowering blood pressure level, purifying blood, improving liver condition and detoxifying the body.
* Lentils: Depending on the variety, lentils are rich in potassium, copper, pantothenic acid, zinc, magnesium and vitamin B6. It also helps in lowering the risk of heart diseases and stabilising blood sugar level. Easily available and cheap, lentils have everything to boost your health condition.
* Spinach: The rich source of essential nutrients, phosphorus, potassium, vitamins A, B6, C, E, K, zinc, protein, folate, niacin, thiamin, calcium, iron, magnesium, copper, manganese and fibre make spinach a power-packed source of nutrients. It also contains carotenoid and flavonoid. Apart from being one of the best foods for its nutritional value, spinach also acts as an anti-inflammatory food.
It contains glycoglycerolipids that assist in keeping the digestive track healthy and also keep inflammation at bay.
* Yoghurt: Contains the benefits of animal protein and dairy foods that include calcium, potassium, magnesium, vitamin B12 and vitamin B2. It also contains probiotics (bifidobacterium and lactobacillus) which is known as healthy bacteria that help boosting stronger immunity and promote a healthier digestive system. It also helps in stabilising blood pressure level.
* Tofu: A rich source of protein and essential amino acids, Tofu is low in fat and rich in calcium, copper, zinc, iron, selenium, magnesium, vitamin B1, manganese and phosphorus. It helps lower the LDL cholesterol, aids type 2 diabetes, increases bone density, prevents liver damage. Its antioxidant properties reduce the chances of cancer.
* Sunflower seeds: These wonder seeds are rich sources of vitamins B1, E, minerals, phytosterols, antioxidents, folate and essential nutrients. Daily consumption of this healthy food promotes healthy cholesterol levels, cardiovascular health, stronger nervous and immune systems, healthy mood and improved thyroid hormone metabolism.