Five reasons why pregnant women should eat kidney beans!
Here are five amazing health benefits of eating kidney beans during pregnancy.
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: Kidney beans are not just a delicious food, but are also full of nutrients. As most other beans, kidney beans are a very good source of cholesterol-lowering fiber. The fact that kidney beans are packed with potassium, magnesium, iron and protein make this food a good meat substitute for vegetarians.
This wonderful, inexpensive bean, which is rich in fiber, low- fat protein, antioxidants and iron, should be a part of your daily diet, especially if you are pregnant, because it has the necessary nutrients which are vital for baby inside you to grow at a healthy pace.
Here are five amazing health benefits of eating kidney beans during pregnancy:
- During pregnancy, your blood volume expands. Therefore you need more iron to make more hemoglobin. Kidney beans can hike up your iron levels, thereby eliminating iron deficiency while promoting the cognitive development of your baby. It also aids in overall fetal development and even promotes the placenta to grow.
- Kidney beans, being rich in anthocyanins or natural antioxidants, are useful for the skin of both you and the growing baby. These beans can also reduce your risk of developing gestational diabetes.
- Kidney beans contain dietary fiber that helps to maintain your blood cholesterol levels during pregnancy.
- Kidney beans also contain about 8 vital amino acids, which play central roles both as building blocks of proteins and as intermediates in metabolism. These amino acids can help boost your immunity and combat various diseases and infections. Also, the proteins created by these amino acids are vital for building an excellent foundation of the baby’s body cells and the mom too.
- Kidney beans eliminate the bile acids that cause morning sickness or nausea that most pregnant women experience in the morning.
Inspite of all the benefits that it gives, make sure that you don't over-indulge in this so called 'superfood of pregnancy'. Kidney beans contain purines - natural substance - which can cause kidney stones or gout if consumed in excess. Phytohemagglutinin, another substance found in kidney beans, can affect cellular metabolism if taken in huge amounts, which can cause unwanted conditions during pregnancy.