Five surprising health benefits of jaggery – From constipation to weight loss!
Jaggery, which acts as diuretic, can help stimulate bowel movements, thereby providing relief from constipation.
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: Jaggery, also known as 'gur' in Hindi, made from sugar cane juice also contains plenty of nutrients as it is not completely refined like sugar. Jaggery, which is rich in vital vitamins and minerals, helps boost the immunity, keeps body warm as well as aids in treating cold and cough.
Here are some health benefits of jaggery that everyone should know-
- Jaggery, which acts as diuretic, can help stimulate bowel movements, thereby providing relief from constipation.
- Consuming jaggery on a regular basis can be beneficial for respiratory problems such as asthma, bronchitis, etc.
- Jaggeryr is rich in antioxidants and minerals such as potassium, magnesium, iron, zinc, selenium, calcium and phosphorus, which in turn help prevent free-radical damage while boosting immunity. The potassium content in gur also helps control blood pressure.
- Jaggery can also help in treating flu-like symptoms (cold, cough). Just mix gur with warm water and drink up.
- Another surprising health benefits of jaggery is that it aids in weight loss. The high level minerals content, particularly potassium, in jaggery helps in the balance of electrolytes, build muscles as well as boost metabolism. The high pottasium level also helps reduce extra water retention in the body and thus aids in weight management.