Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: A latest report has warned that cancer will kill 5.5 million women every year by 2030 – roughly the population of Denmark - mainly from breast cancer.
The report conducted by the conducted by the American Cancer Society (ACS) and released Tuesday at the World Cancer Congress in Paris also revealed that cancer is already killing one in seven women around the world, making it the second highest cause of death after cardiovascular disease.
But you can lower your risk of cancer in several ways. Here's what you can to reduce your risk of getting it:
- Avoid tobacco - Tobacco use is the single greatest risk factor for cancer mortality worldwide. About 70% of the lung cancer burden can be attributed to smoking alone. Besides, smoking has been linked to various types of cancer including cancers of the lung, oesophagus, larynx (voice box), mouth, throat, kidney, bladder, pancreas, stomach and cervix.
- Eat a healthy, balanced diet consisting plenty of fruits and vegetables while cutting down on processed foods that can increase the risk of certain types of cancer.
- Be physically active and maintain a healthy weight to lower your risk of various types of cancer.
- Participate in cancer screening tests according to recommended guidelines.
- Protect your skin from the sun damage so that you don't get burned, which is important for preventing skin cancer. Avoid midday sun and use sunscreen with a sun protection factor (SPF) of at least 15 when you're outdoors.
Follow the above guidelines that will help lower your risk of cancer. As per the World Health Organisation (WHO), at least one-third of all cancer cases are preventable. There is strong evidence that a person can reduce his/her risk of cancer largely through healthy behavior and lifestyle changes.