Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: Flaxseeds, also known as linseeds, are one of the world's healthiest foods packed with micronutrients, vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and healthy fats. Of late, flax has widely drawn attention of nutritionists as well as health researchers alike owing to massive health benefits that it gives.
Here are some fascinating reasons why you should be eating more flaxseeds:
- Flaxseeds are a rich source of omega-3 fatty acids, which are considered good for your cardiovascular health.
- Lignans found in flaxseeds act as antioxidants, and thereby preventing cancer.
- Flaxseed is a low glycemic food and helps stabilize blood sugar levels for longer.
- Flaxseeds contain alpha-linolenic acid (ALA) that helps improve digestive health or relieve constipation.
- The ALA fats in flaxseeds also benefits the skin and hair by providing essential fats as well as b-vitamins which reduce dryness and flakiness.
- The soluble fiber content of flaxseeds reduces your cholesterol levels.
- Flaxseeds are also an excellent diet for those trying to lose weight because of its high fiber content. Research has shown that high-fiber diets are more satiating while making you to eat fewer calories which may lead to weight loss.