Gene variant that curbs cravings for alcohol identified
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: Scientists in the UK have found a gene variant that suppresses or limit the desire to drink alcohol.
The discovery of FGF21 could lead to a pill that could help alcoholics curb their cravings for alcohol.
Professor Gunter Schumann, from the Institute of Psychiatry at King's College London said: "Our study reveals a previously unrecognised liver-brain pathway which regulates alcohol consumption in humans, and which could one day be targeted therapeutically to suppress consumption in problem drinkers".
"The results point towards an intriguing feedback loop, where FGF21 is produced in the liver in response to sugar and alcohol intake, which then acts directly on the brain to limit consumption. We cannot rule out the possibility that beta-Klotho acts by affecting neighbouring genes, so further genetic studies are warranted," Schumann said.
For the study, researchers analysed DNA samples of more than 105,000 people of European descent, who were also questioned about their weekly drinking habits.
Although the effect that the gene had was small, the possible mechanism involved may lead to a target for drugs to help people to cut down on their drinking.
Co-author Professor Paul Elliott, from Imperial College London, said: "Our findings may eventually lead to new treatments for people whose health is being harmed by drinking."
By looking at the genomes of the research sample, researchers found that even moderate drinking was increased by gene mutation.
Excessive alcohol consumption is a major public health problem worldwide, causing more than 3 million deaths per year.
The findings were published in the 'Proceedings in the National Academy of Sciences' journal this week.
(With PTI inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened