Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: It is said that most people experience a panic attack once or twice in their lives. A panic attacks, which is usually triggered by a stressful event, is a sudden surge of overwhelming anxiety and fear.
Panic attacks can strike at any time as they typically occur without any warning. Signs of a panic attack may include – palpitations, feeling weak or faint, sweating, shortness of breath, panic attack, tingling or numbness in the hands and fingers, breathing problems, fear of losing control, etc.
Medication is most effective when combined with other treatments such as therapy, lifestyle changes that address the underlying causes of panic attacks and panic disorder. Here are some self-care tips that you can use to help reduce a panic attack:
- Taking slow, deep breaths to soothe your mind and body.
- Practicing stress management and relaxation techniques – yoga, progressive muscle relaxation, etc.
- Making positive thinking a habit, even when you're feeling down.
- Getting regular physical activity, which may help protect against anxiety.
- Getting adequate sleep every night.
- Avoiding caffeine, alcohol and smoking as all of these can trigger or worsen the attacks.
- Sticking to your treatment plan.