Lung disease: Understanding the warning signs, tips to prevent infections
There are many things you can do to reduce your risk of getting lung disease. Here are some steps you can take to keep your lungs healthy and happy.
New Delhi: Lung diseases are infections that affect the lungs and make it difficult to breathe. Lung disease is a group of disorders affecting the lungs, such as asthma, chronic bronchitis, COPD, infections like influenza, pneumonia and tuberculosis, lung cancer, and many other breathing problems.
Common signs and symptoms of lung disease
The following signs and symptoms of lung infection shouldn't be ignored:
- Trouble breathing
- Shortness of breath
- Decreased ability to exercise
- Productive cough
- Coughing up blood or mucus
- Chest pain
Our lungs are the primary organs of respiration that keep us alive and well for the most part. They are among the hardest-working organs in the body. Therefore any infection to lungs is a painful and uncomfortable condition which can be caused by a variety different elements, including, air pollution, tobacco smoking, infections, exposure to fumes and dust, genetics.
Ways to keep your lungs healthy
There are many things you can do to reduce your risk of getting lung disease. Here are some steps you can take to keep your lungs healthy and happy:
- Quit smoking if you smoke – this is the best way you can do to lower your chances of lung disease. Stay away from secondhand smoke, is a serious health hazard that can cause lung cancer in non-smoking adults.
- Avoid exposure to pollutants – outdoor air pollution, dust and chemical fumes – that can damage your lungs.
- Eat a healthy diet consisting of lot of fruits and vegetables, which may help lower the risk of lung cancer.
- Practice good hygiene to prevent infections such as – often washing hands with soap and water, avoiding crowds during and cold and flu season, good oral health practices, etc.
- Get regular health check-ups even if you are feeling well to prevent diseases.
- Exercise regularly to keep your lungs healthy – deep breathing exercises can help strengthen your lungs and clear your air ways.
In addition to that, you should see a doctor if you have a cough that won't go away, breathing difficulties, pain or discomfort in your chest, or any of the other symptoms described above.