New Delhi: A mysterious disease has caused a UP boy's hands to grow up to 12 inches long.
12-year-old Tarik was born with huge hands, but wasn't diagnosed. While doctors are still trying to figure out the reason behind his condition, they believe that he may have Elephant Foot disease, a condition that leads to the abnormal swelling of tissues.
Tarik's family can't afford treatment ever since his father died. His condition renders him incapable of bathing, eating and dressing himself and he has to take help from his brother.
The people in his village have named him 'The devil' and believe he's cursed.
According to a report in the Daily Mail, Tarik wants to get rid of the condition he's in. “I want to become like other kids who go to school everyday and play like normal kids,” he said.
Below are some facts about the Elephant Foot disease:
- Usually caused by parasites carried by mosquitoes
- The affected areas, commonly legs and genitals become thick and sag
- The fluid causes the skin to darken and become ulcerated
- Cases can become fatal if the blood vessels are severely damaged
- Antibiotics need to be taken to treat the infection
- In some cases, patients have to undergo surgery if the swellings increase