Honey on toast cures bad hangover
New Delhi: This festive season, merriment will be aplenty, and so will be alcohol – but if you want to avoid that really bad feeling of nausea and headache the next morning try honey on toast, says a new study.
The Royal Society of Chemistry claim that the natural sweetener is one of the best way to treat toxins in the body post-binge. It contains fructose, which can also be found in golden syrup, which is essential to help the body break down alcohol into harmless by-products.
"The happiness comes from alcohol. The hangover comes from acetaldehyde. This is the toxic chemical into which alcohol is converted by the body and it causes a throbbing headache, nausea, and maybe even vomiting," the Telegraph quoted Dr John Emsley of the Royal Society, as saying.
"The hangover disappears as the acetaldehyde is slowly converted to less toxic chemicals," he added.
Honey is also a source of potassium and sodium that helps fight the alcohol toxins.
There are a few other tips you can follow to help cure a hangover: drink a glass of milk, stick to clear alcohols like gin or mix your drink with a bit of softdrink. Of course, water before going to bed helps too.
"The milk slows down the absorption of alcohol, which means there is less acetaldehyde for the body to deal with at any one time," Emsley said.
"Gin is alcohol twice purified by distillation and the botanical flavours it contains are mere traces. Avoid dark coloured drinks which contain natural chemicals that can adversely affect you."