Suffering from chikungunya? Eat these foods to recover fast!
Taking plenty of fluids in the form of water, soups, dals and broths can help flush out virus fast from the body.
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: Chikungunya has been triggering fear amongst residents in Delhi as the city saw a sharp rise in cases from the mosquito-borne viral infection this week, taking the toll to 1,057. Till Tuesday September 12, three people have succumbed to chikungunya at Sir Ganga Ram Hospital in Delhi this season.
Besides, the national capital has also been grappling with dengue fever and some cases of malaria this season.
In addition to medication, diet plays a vital role in treating these infections. Although chikungunya often doesn't lead to death, it's a life-threatening disease. It weakens the immune system, which has a negative impact on the digestive system. Here are some diet tips to treat or prevent chikungunya:
- A soft but balanced diet should be taken by people suffering from chikungunya fever.
- Take plenty of fluids in the form of water, soups, dal and broths to help flush out virus fast from the body.
- Increase intake of leafy vegetables that are easy to digest and rich in vitamins A and C.
- Eat foods rich in selenium, chromium, zinc, and the vitamins A, C, and E in order to build immunity. These nutrients are natural antioxidants, which help to fight free radicals in our body.
- Fruits like oranges, sweet lime, amla capsicum, broccoli, pineapple, cabbage, papaya, and guavas are rich in vitamin C, which can destroy invasive viruses and bacteria.
- Vitamin A foods are yellow-orange colored fruits and vegetables and can increase the production of natural infection-fighting cells.
- Also, increase intake of omega 3 and 6 fatty acids, which are very important to building strong bones and muscles and making the joints supple.