Sources revealed that the transplant procedure began at 8:30 a.m and successfully ended at around 2:30 p.m on Saturday December 10.
The surgery was performed by AIIMS Director MC Misra and Sub-Dean VK Bansal apart from a few other senior doctors. The minister has been shifted to the Intensive Care Unit (ICU) in the same building immediately after the operation.
Here are a few tips every kidney transplant recipient should follow for a healthy recovery as well as to live a healthful life post transplant:
- Eat a healthy diet - at least five portions of fruit and vegetables a day.
- Opt for protein rich foods such as, legumes, beans, oats, yogurt, milk – skimmed or low-fat ones.
- Include some lean meats, poultry and fish.
- Limit or avoid food that contains high amount of fat, salt or sugar.
- Avoid raw or undercooked eggs.
- Drink adequate amount of water and other fluids to stay hydrated.
- Regular physical activity should be a part of your daily routine to increase strength as well as improve your overall physical and mental health.
- Maintain a healthy weight as excessive weight gain can contribute to high blood pressure, high cholesterol and development of diabetes, which can be dangerous for people with a kidney transplant.
- Do not smoke because smoking can reduce the life of your new kidney and increase your risk of certain types of cancer.
In addition to that, in case of suspicion of an infection or getting uncomfortable with your new kidney, reach out to your doctor immediately to avoid further complications.