Thiruvananthapuram: 15-year-old gets new lease of life after complex surgery
Thiruvananthapuram: A 15-year-old boy here claimed to have received a new lease of life after undergoing a complex surgery at a hospital here to repair his shattered spine.
The boy Thameem was riding pillion on a motorbike last month, which crashed while negotiating a steep bump at high speed and he was thrown off the vehicle. The impact of the accident was such that the fall literally broke his neck into two, causing multiple fractures of his spine and haemorrhage into his spinal cord.
The neurosurgery team, comprising a team of doctors comprising Santhosh George Thomas, Biji Bahuleyan and Girish K M, performed the emergency surgery by operating from both the front and back of his neck, thus establishing a 360 degree fixation.
During the anterior approach, the large blood clot in front of his spinal cord along with broken fragments of bone that were compressing his spinal cord were removed and the neck was kept upright with a titanium cage.
This was secured in place with a plate and screws.
He was then turned over and operated from the back to decompress the spinal cord from behind.
The cervical vertebrae were fixed with mutiple screws, rods and bone grafts, a press release from the hospital said.
Now, Thameem, who is on the road to recovery after the mishap a month ago, is able to walk with support.
Dr Santhosh George Thomas, Neurosurgeon and Spine surgeon at KIMS, Trivandrum, said 'High speed trauma to the spine in young individuals, is potentially the most devastating of all injuries to the skeletal system.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested
- Mohammad Kaif takes a subtle dig at Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad after he hit Air India official with slippers