Unbelievable! Six health benefits of leftover rice – From glowing skin to a trimmer waistline
Since this rice is a natural coolant, it reduces body heat and keeps you cool, if taken regularly.
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: Do not be surprised if you've been asked to eat 'leftover rice or day-old food' by your mom. And of course, food should never be wasted, right? But, it seems much more than that as leftover rice can be beneficial to your health immensely – thanks to the chemical reactions that take place when food is left overnight!
Here are some amazing health benefits of eating leftover food:
- Leftover rice, when soaked fully in water and stored in an earthen clay pot overnight, will ferment by next morning. This rice can give a lot of health benefits. Some of them are-
- Since this rice is a natural coolant, it reduces body heat and keeps you cool, if taken regularly.
- Consuming this rice in the morning can keep stomach ailments at bay as harmful and excessive heat retained in the body is neutralised.
- Having this rice thrice a week can speed up recovery of ulcer.
- It also helps in maintaining youthful and radiant look.
- Since leftover rice is high on micro-nutrients and minerals such as iron, potassium and calcium, having this rice on a daily basis helps one to stay healthy, as per a study.
- Eating leftover rice can also help you stay slim. This is because rice, when chilled overnight, can contain up to 60% fewer calories than when freshly cooked - potentially dropping from 130 calories per 100g to just 52 - but one needs to cook it in the appropriate way, as per research presented to the American Chemical Society.