Viral fever: Symptoms, treatment and prevention
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: Congress president Sonia Gandhi has been hospitalised at Sir Ganga Ram Hospital in New Delhi on Tuesday following a viral fever.
Here's everything you need to know about viral fever.
Viral fever refers to a wide range of viral conditions, but is usually characterised by an increase in normal body temperature. A viral infection can affect several parts of the body, including, the heart muscle, intestine, lungs, and airways, etc.
Viral fever can affect anyone, but children and old people are more susceptible to it due to lowered immunity. The condition is also quite common during the winter months.
Viral fever can be transmitted from one person to another – the virus is spread when an infected person sneezes or coughs. Viral infections can be also a result of intake of contaminated food or water. Some of the viral infections can be spread sexually or by direct inoculation into the blood stream.
Signs and symptoms of viral fever include:
- Low or high fever
- Sore or itchy throat
- Runny nose
- Nasal congestion
- Red and watery eyes
- Muscle and joint pains
- Skin rashes
Treatment is symptomatic with the use of antipyretic and analgesic drugs. It may be noted that viruses cannot be killed by antibiotics. Besides medications, people suffering from viral fever are advised bed rest and adequare fluid intake.
Most people tend to self medicate, which can be dangerous. Do not self-medicate, but visit a doctor if you notice symptoms like high fever with chills or one that won't go away with medication.
It is difficult to prevent viral fevers since they occur as epidemics of infection depending on their mode of spread. However, you can reduce your risk of getting viral infections by taking some preventive measures, such as, washing your hands thoroughly with soaps and water, avoiding crowded places, not touching your face – mouth, nose, eyes – without washing your hands, having warm and home cooked food.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP
- 'The Kapil Sharma Show' controversy: Sunil Grover opens up, finds all the 'tamasha' very 'entertaining'