Here's how to keep your liver healthy
Eat foods that have plenty of fibres such as fresh fruits, vegetables, whole grain breads.
New Delhi: We all know that the liver is a vital organ and a key player in our body's digestive system. It is the body's largest gland, supporting nearly every other organ in the body in some facet.
Your liver performs multiple critical functions to keep the body pure of toxins and harmful substances. In fact, a person cannot survive without a healthy liver.
Therefore you need to take care of your liver so it can stay healthy and do its job. Here are a few tips to keep your liver healthy:
- Eat foods that have plenty of fibres such as fresh fruits, vegetables, whole grain breads.
- Try to include foods from all food groups - grains, protein, dairy products, fruits, vegetables and fats, etc.
- Take lemon and lime juice. Lemon juice is a natural cleanser and helps break down food in your stomach for better digestion.
- Say 'No'to alcohol, smoking as they can damage or destroy liver cells.
- Maintain a healthy weight by exercising regularly - obesity can cause non alcoholic fatty liver disease.
- Watch out for certain medicines - Talk to your doctor before taking any medication as medicines taken incorrectly can be harmful for your liver.
- Be careful with herbs and supplements.
- Get vaccinated against hepatitis.
Remember, liver doesn't usually cause any obvious signs or symptoms until it is fairly advanced and the liver is damaged. At this stage, possible symptoms are loss of appetite, weight loss and jaundice.
Because liver is an organ which can be easily damaged, you need to take good care of it.
World Liver Day is observed on every 19 April, to spread awareness about liver related disease.